RD9 '17: Demons vs Magpies (Conf)

Chris Jones | 13.07.17

Demons 13.9 (87) def. Magpies 8.7 (55)

Fresh off the back of a fortnights break the Magoos came into this one against Putney knowing just how important a game it would be in terms of ladder position coming into finals.

First quarter didn't exactly go to plan. The Magpies were all over us and we simply didn't work both ways, leaving us exposed all over the ground. Three goals against the run of play however, including one to first gamer Muz helped keep us in it, but didn't spare the lads from a mighty spray from Whitey.

The spray had the desired effect as the team instantly started to play more accountable football. The midfield where getting great supply from Biggsy, who worked tirelessly all day in the ruck and around the ground providing a big target. Along with a couple of other key positional changes, Whitey swung himself forward which gave the boys a key focal point, kicking one of three for the day to get us back on level terms.

It remained a tight contest in the third term and whilst we were able to continue to win the ball around the ground, we couldn't break away from them on the scoreboard. The backs won some key contests throughout the day but it was noticed most in the third. Al Skel did a good job on their key CHF, Sharpley won some big contests, while Boxy and Unitt were good off the HBF both shutting down their men and providing important rebound. Up forward, first gamer Gareth was providing good tackling pressure and clunked an important big grab, then slotted his second for the day.

Still nothing in it going into the last, we looked to expose the extra man ascendance we gained from a red card to the Magpies during the third quarter. Key clearances from Brescy got us on a roll and he managed to top off a great day kicking the sealer during the last. The other on ballers Turbo & Fintan ran out the game well, the latter continuing his good form with another 3-goal performance to go with plenty of the ball, as well as being on the end of Whitey's quarter-time spray! A five goal to nil final quarter took the final margin out to 32 - a slow start turned around as some good signs started to appear in what was an important win.

< Back to the news

Subscribe to the club newsletter

Leave this empty:


Hot Property